City Tour, Tasting
This wide-ranging tour introduces some of the different faces of Menorca, from a shrine to the island’s patron saint to a factory making exclusive shoes, taking in a visit to a farm and a tasting session of local produce along the way, before finishing with a relaxing break at a truly one-of-a-kind venue.
O que nós vemos
- Monte Toro and the Shrine of the Virgen del Toro
- The Ferreries shoe factory
- The Subaida farm
- Tasting session, with cheeses, cured sausges and biscuits
- Cova d'en Xoroi
O que nós fazemos
- We set off from the port by coach, following a winding road to the summit of Monte Toro, the highest point on the island of Menorca.
- At the top stands the shrine to the Virgin Mary, where a small (originally Gothic) church houses a wooden statue of the island’s patron saint, the “Virgen del Toro”. Here we have the chance to savour a moment of inner peace as we enjoy the splendid view from the terrace.
- After visiting the shrine we continue our tour, making our way to the town of Ferreries, which has the distinction of being the island’s most elevated settlement and where we have the opportunity to visit a shoe factory – one of the most famous on the island – whose formal and casual footwear has found a number of celebrity fans.
- Our itinerary continues on to Subaida, a family-run farm where we are treated to a guided tour of the holdings and see how they make their cheese.
- At the end of the tour, we have time to indulge in a tasting session with local produce, including various types of cheese, cured sausages and biscuits. There is also the chance to pop into the farm shop, where we can purchase some of the delectable products we have just sampled.
- Our last stop is Cova d'en Xoroi. This famous bar complex extends into caves in the rock, while the outdoor terraces that sit, clinging to cliff as though suspended over the water, offer breathtaking views of the sea. What better place to relax and say a final farewell to the island.
O que saber
- The excursion involves long, and demanding, stretches on foot.
- To reach Cova d'en Xoroi, visitors will need to negotiate 90 steps.