CIUDADELA, O PERFEITO PORTO ESPANHOL
We reach the charming Ciutadella, once capital of the island, and stroll around the historic city centre to discover its main monuments and most enchanting corners.
O que nós vemos
- Stroll around the city
- Arab-Medieval city centre
- Plaça des Born
- Port and cathedral
O que nós fazemos
- We leave the port of Mahón and cross the island of Menorca to reach **Ciutadella**, a marvellous example of Spanish city and once capital of the island.
- The city's history starts well before Roman times and its **architecture is a mix of Arab and Medieval elements**.
- We explore this enchanting city with a **stroll around the city centre** among charming alleyways and streets flanked by elegant buildings owned by the island’s noble families.
- We venture into the old district, location of **Plaça des Born**, the old place-of-arms and city hub from which we can see the natural port and where there is an obelisk commemorating the Turkish attack on the city on 9th July 1558.
- We take in the **unique port** at the feet of the ancient walls and flanked by lovely white houses.
- We also admire the 15th-century **cathedral**, a magnificent building in the Catalan Gothic style with a Baroque façade built over a Mosque of which the remains of the former minaret and now bell tower can still be seen.
O que saber
- The excursion includes walking on pebbled roads or over uneven terrain and includes some steps.
- Comfortable shoes and multiple layers of clothing are recommended.
- This excursion is not available to wheelchair users.