ITALY'S HIDDEN TREASURES - CASTIGLIONE DI SICILIA
Castiglione di Sicilia at leisure. The town was selected as one of the most beautiful in Italy and is surrounded by a rugged scenery of rare beauty. Stroll through the characteristic alleyways of the historic town centre searching for monuments and ancient buildings and wander around the wine bars and bakeries to delight our palates.
O que nós vemos
- Alcantara gorges
- Castiglione di Sicilia
- Free time to wander the town
- Monumental churches
- Ruggero di Lauria castle
- U Cannizzu
- Wine bars and bakeries
O que nós fazemos
- We leave the port of Catania behind us and head north past Mount Etna as far as the Alcantara gorges, a unique geological landscape created by the erosion carried out by the Alcantara river flowing through a valley of volcanic rock.
- Our destination is the Medieval town of Castiglione di Sicilia perched 600 metres above sea level on the northern side of Mount Etna and designated one of the most beautiful towns in Italy.
- Once we reach our destination, we have some free time to explore the town at our leisure, strolling through the alleyways to discover its incredibly rich artistic and cultural heritage dating back to different times and dominations.
- This small town is home to numerous prestigious monumental churches, including the 17th-century Chiesa di Sant’Antonio Abate with its bell tower and a peculiar onion dome and the Basilica della Madonna della Catena, home to prestigious works of art.
- The imposing Ruggero di Lauria castle is perched on a hill dominating the entire walled town of Castiglione di Sicilia and offers spectacular views over the Alcantara valley and the northern side of Mount Etna.
- Just outside the town, we find U Cannizzu, a watchtower built on a vertical wall, symbol of the city.
- Castiglione di Sicilia is also the perfect place to savour a few local specialities: the town wine bars boast a selection of prestigious wines made with rare native grape varieties while bakeries have a wide assortment of irresistible delicacies ranging from almond paste confectionery, fresh ricotta fritters (sciauni) and rice zeppole (cuddureddi).
- After our free visit, we head back to the coach and return to the ship.
O que saber
This excursion does not include a guide, but we will have the assistance of a local rep.
Comfortable shoes are recommended.
The cost of food and entrance tickets to tourist sites is not included in the price of the excursion.
Please note that the local administration of the village offers the opportunity to buy a tourist package directly on site. This is according to the availability of the local public association and for which, we ask you to refer to the staff assigned to the arrival in the village. The local escort on board the bus will give general information on the place and information on how to take advantage of the package provided by the local public association in the village.