OSAKA CASTLE AND STROLL IN DOTONBORI
City Tour, Cultural, Shopping, Lunch not included
In this tour you will visit major tourist attractions in Osaka. Osaka Castle, which is a famous landmark, a popular sightseeing spot, and the symbol of Osaka, contains thirteen structures which have been designated as Important Cultural Assets by the Japanese government. Of special note are the grand gates and turrets along the outer moat. The steep walls that rise close to 30 meters high are made of huge blocks of stone that were transported to Osaka from quarries over 100 kilometers away. The sheer height of the walls and the wide moats they rise above make for a grand sight that can be matched by no other castle in Japan.
Dotonbori is often selected as a scene in the Japanese and foreign movies as the symbol of Osaka.
Dotonbori is a large scale downtown along the south bank of the Dotonbori-gawa Canal. Osaka is known as the gastronomists' town, and thus the entire area of Dotonbori is thronged with an unbelievable number of restaurants and amusement facilities, and is dearly loved by the locals and foreigners.
O que nós vemos
• Osaka castle and park
• 17th-century walls
• Dotonbori district
O que nós fazemos
• We start off our excursion with the famous Osaka castle, one of the most popular and important monuments in the country and a true architectural gem erected in the 16th century.
• We wander around the large park that surrounds the castle with its main keep, with its characteristic green pagoda roofs and golden ornaments, as well as numerous minor outbuildings belonging to the ancient manor. Even though many parts were rebuilt during the modern age, this ancient place steeped in history remains fascinating.
• We admire the *imposing stone walls built in 1620 that are still practically intact to this day. They were built with huge granite blocks taken from the quarries in the Seto Inland Sea and decorated with the symbols of the various families that placed them on the wall.
• Our second destination is the Dotonbori district in the centre of Osaka along the southern bank of the Dotonbori-gawa canal. It is a succession of restaurants and shops illuminated with large neon signs and giant screens.
• We wander along the streets, which are often the location for Japanese and foreign films, and immerse ourselves in the lively bubbly atmosphere that characterises this area before heading back to the coach and back to the ship.
O que saber
• Itinerary sequence may vary. • The length of the coach transfer depends on the itinerary. • We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available. • Traffic jams are to be expected during tourist season. • Money cannot be exchanged in the port, we recommend buying Japanese currency beforehand. • Visibility during the tour is subject to weather conditions. • Comfortable shoes with a low heel are recommended. • The visit to the Osaka castle includes a 30 minute walk.
English & other European tour guides are subject to availability.